...

2/17/14

Adventures in Dressmaking: My First Finish

Stylish Dress Book Volume 2 - Top A
Stylish Dress Book Volume 2 - Top A
Stylish Dress Book Volume 2 - Top A
Stylish Drees Book Volume 2 - Top A

So here it is, I finally finished the top I have been working on.  My first addition to my handmade wardrobe. The pattern is Top A from the Stylish Dress Book Volume 2. The pattern is actually very easy to follow and extremely  user friendly; especially for beginners like me. All the instructions are put in a few easy steps and it includes pictures to illustrate the construction.
 I really like the way it turned out. However there are some things that didn't come out as planned. The fit is a bit loose but I think this gives me a good starting point for sizing when using this book. Although, I been debating whether or not I I should take a few inches from the sides. Finally the fabric, while I love the silky texture and amazing drape it has, it had its challenges working with it. It frays very easily so I had to be careful at not handling it too much before ovelocking the edges. And hand basting became my best friend since the fabric is very slippery. I wanted to make sure the pieces didn't shift while sewing them. Specially the pleats and the neck binding.
My friend Nat has the same book so we had decided to make the same top and share our adventures (I'm a bit late sharing mine, sorry Nat). You can see her top here. She shares her insights about working with this pattern and a mini tutorial on how to make the gathering for the sleeves. 
Overall I think  my first experience in dress making was a success. I'm really looking forward to adding  a few more handmade items to my wardrobe. 

Have a great week!

**Linking up to New To Me in 2014 over at Celtic Thistle Stitches **

XX
Martha.

16 comments:

  1. It looks very sophisticated and professional. What kind of fabric did you use? About the size it depends if you like your clothes loose or not. It looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Nesta for your lovely comment. I got the fabric at my local Joann store. I believe that line is called Simply Silky

      Delete
  2. Total success - it looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great Martha. I like how your iron out the pleats all the way down the top. I bet working with a silky fabric was a bit of a challenge, especially those pleats , surely that makes you an intermediate dressmaker already! So when are we making a next garment from the book?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous. I love everything about it. It looks wonderful on you - and SUCH pretty details, including those lovely ruffles on the sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it looks amazing :-) Can't believe that that is your first venture into making clothes - brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the blouse, it is well done and completely unique. I am totally in love with the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks lovely, Martha. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your top is beautiful- I love the pleats and ruffles! I'm one of Jan's followers from Sew and Sow Farm and I'm enjoying reading new blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The blouse is lovely! Jan from Sew and Sow Farms sent me to check out your blog. I absolutely love your quilted projects, especially the patchwork pouches.

    ReplyDelete
  10. (Popping over from New to Me 2014) Gorgeous blouse - that fabric is luscious! It's funny how every different pattern will "size" differently, even patterns from the same designer - I've noticed it too, except usually I have to size mine UP rather than DOWN, lol! (maybe it's time to put the cookies down :D)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This has turned out beautifully! A wonderful start to your adventures in dressmaking :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks beautiful. I used to sew a lot of clothing for myself when I was a teenager and just jumped back in sewing for my kids. It can be so, so awesome to make something really special and it looks like you did!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I really appreciate them. I love hearing from you!