...

2/24/13

Sunday Sewing: Hand Quilting

Mini Quilt - Block Pattern Illusion by Daine {from blank pages...}

Mini Quilt - Pattern Illusion - Hand quilting

You might remember this... back in December I tested a paper piecing pattern for Diane @ From Blank Pages. And the block had been hanging on my inspiration board, unfinished all this time; mainly because I couldn't decide on how to quilt it. I knew I wanted to make it into a mini quilt to decorate my sewing room (I love looking at it every time I come into the room), but I had my doubts about the quilting. I wanted something soft that wouldn't overpower the design. Thus, hand quilting was my final choice. To contrast the straight lines and at the same time complement the geometric design of the block I hand quilted circles all over. I really like the texture the hand quilting gives to this quilt. Hand quilting takes a bit more time than machine quilting, but is totally worth it. I'm looking forward to creating another project using this technique. 

Have a wonderful week!

Martha.



13 comments:

  1. So crisp looking and I like the how the circular hand quilting softens all the straight lines and angles, really lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful! I love it. The hand quilting really does compliment it so well. The perfect touch! :) Thanks again for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this. I'm making an effort to do more hand quilting. Yours is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. really lovely - I love hand quilting too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty!!!! The hand quilting is the perfect choice - I love the circles. It's fun to hang these little minis where you can can enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so pretty! Love the effect of the circles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The hand quilting really is the icing on the cake Martha, your mini is delicious!

    Thanks for linking up to New to Me in 2013 too, we will all be trying out hand quilting now :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! Love your hand quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so right. Hand quilting is worth it. The circles set off the angles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. it looks wonderful, good choice to hand quilt it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am catching up belatedly! This is lovely and your handquilting is great. Your pics are lovely, as usual:-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I really appreciate them. I love hearing from you!